The goal of computer vision is to automatically extract useful information from images.
Typical objectives include:
- Detection, segmentation, location, and recognition of certain objects in images.
- Evaluation of results.
- Logging of different images of the same scene or object, and match the same object in several images.
- Tracking an object in a sequence of images.
- Mapping a scene to generate a three-dimensional model of the scene.
- Estimation of three-dimensional postures of humans.
- Search for digital images by their content.
- Pattern recognition.
- Statistical learning.
- Projection geometry.
- Image processing.
- Graph theory.
- Other fields.
These goals are achieved through: